About the Lab
Welcome to the Biomedical Engineering Education and Design (BMEed) Lab in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). We are on a mission to provide students with great curricular experiences, ample resources, and plenty of opportunities in the field of biomedical engineering (BME). We are also active in discipline-based education research (DBER) in biomedical engineering.
Curricular Focus Areas
- BME Design
- BME Laboratories
- Biomedical Ethics
- Clinical Immersion
- First-year Engineering
- Professional Development
- Technical Communication
Research Focus Areas
- BME Design Self-efficacy
- BME Student Community Building
- Needs Identification in Urban Clinics
- Project-based Learning
Recent Lab News
- Dr. Higbee and Dr. Miller had a paper accepted into the annual educational issue of the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering.
- Dr. Miller and Dr. Higbee were awarded an R25 Grant by the National Institutes of Health (title: A Clinical Immersion Program to Train Biomedical Engineers to Identify Indiana's Urban Health Needs).
- Dr. Higbee, Dr. Miller, and colleagues had their Teaching Tips paper accepted into the inaugural issue of the Biomedical Engineering Education journal.
- The lab welcomes Devany Harrell, a new master's student in the IUPUI Department of Biomedical Engineering.
- Dr. Higbee and Dr. Miller were awarded a Learning Environment Grant by the IUPUI Center for Teaching and Learning (title: Transformation of SL 144 into a Flexible Design Space for Biomedical Engineering).
- Dr. Miller and Dr. Higbee were awarded a SEIRI Seed Grant by the IUPUI STEM Education Innovation and Research Institute (title: Training Engineers to Identify and to Develop Solutions for Indiana’s Urban Health Needs).
- Dr. Miller and Dr. Higbee were awarded an NSF PFE: RIEF Grant by the National Science Foundation (title: Research Initiation: A Study of Biomedical Engineering Student Self-Efficacy Toward Design).